Kind of like the drink, Corpse Reviver, that’s how I felt about the latest issue of Bon Appetit – it’s revised my recipe senses! I have to admit, October through January is whirlwind of recipe madness; from Halloween to Thanksgiving to Christmas (indulgence, indulgence, indulgence) to January (stop the brakes…EAT ONLY KALE AND QUINOA), I was pleased to get back to a pace of just darn good food and from what I can tell, Bon Appetit just brought it in spades.
I’ve only made one dish so far (more in a minute) but I earmarked, I believe, half the magazine including:
- Braised Beef with Red Onion and Gremolata
- Fennel-Crusted Pork Chops with Potatoes and Shallots
- Thai Beef Stew with Lemongrass and Noodles
- Chicken and Dumplings with Mushrooms
- Fried Chicken Biscuits
- Winter Squash Carbonara with Pancetta and Sage
- Caramel Dipped Popovers with Chocolate Mousse
- Glazed Chocolate-Creme Fraiche Cookies
- Celery Spiked Guacamole with Chiles
- Seared Scallops with Avocado and Daikon
- Grapefruit and White Beets with Yogurt and Tarragon
- Dark Chocolate Waffles
- Shaved Kohlrabi with Apple and Hazelnuts
- Escarole Salad with Horseradish and Capers
Seriously! Get ready for a LOT of Bon Appetit if all of these work out. Who’s excited? So I did make the Indian-Spiced Chicken with Tomato and Cream and wow, did we love this one you guys. I will say if you are not a spices person, this may not be the dish for you, but if you dig the Indian spice fivefecta (turmeric, coriander, cardamom, cumin, garam masala) you are going to simply love this one. It’s simple to put together and I double loved it because it’s a one pot meal. These days, with a 14-month old who is either rolling toilet paper through the house or pointing at everything in the house going ‘THAT?” (she’s asking a question on what it is – the game goes on for hours y’all hahahaha), a one pot meal is a huge food blessing.
Have you guys looked at the new Bon Appetit? Any other mags I should check out?